It’s 17:00 in my clock so it’s time to start doing the new web site. I will be updating this post during the next 24 hours with development news.
The first hour has passed fast by doing some paper planning and drawings of screens. I have also decided to spend some time studying the google maps API.
Then, a new subversion structure for the project has being creted with the temporary name “triplan” (playing with the words trip + planner). So that’ll be the name for now.
I have taken the skeleton used for listedPlan and remove the parts that I feel are of no use. The remains are a page switcher, the user system and some libs that could be of use in triplan (jQuery, some PEAR code…)
AfterEdit: some of the paper drawings made in those moments:
I have being able to load a simple google map window in the page and the user accounts system seems to be working after being imported from listedPlan. Here is a screenshot:
Reading the google maps API documentation and reference.
Y have found a nice js library that builds over the google maps API and allows the use of editable polyLines in the same way than “My Maps” in google maps does. The cons. is that I had to switch to google maps API version 2 (deprecated, but will work for almost 3 years more). Here’s a new screenshot of the map with editable polylines:
I will now try to attach to some events fired by the creation of points in that line in order to add them to a route list.
After playing with the editable polyLine control, I have realized that it’s not powerful enough to add and edit points in a route, so I have changed direction again. I will go with a simpler interface that limits the clicks on the maps, and uses it as a data display.
25% of the time has now passed, but I know the google maps api much better and feel confident about the next hours can see some fast advancements. After all, the user is going to interact with a list of points in a map, and that’s something I have made before
So, I have now added a new searchbox following one of the google maps examples. It makes geocoding of the wanted location and puts a marker in the map. Pretty cool for such a little code.
A list of places and the map are now merged and work well together.
When the user searches for places, they are saved in his personal list and the map is updated to show a line that connects all those places together. And, if the user decides to remove a place from the list, it’s also removed from the route shown in the map.
The old good screenshot will put some light on this. As you can see, I’m using the art and css from listedplan now:
Its 9:13 on friday and I have being sleeping for 5 hours after seeing me too too tired for doing any good work at 4:00 yesterday night. I hope this extra rest make the 8 hours left be extra-productive.
Anyway, my last advances where about adding multi-route support for the site (just the backend, nothing really visible) and linking some info (regular text) for each location.
The next step should be something like show that info in a way consistent with the rest of the interface and make it editable.
The info text for locations is working. Although I have added the initial texts by hand in the DB, the edition of them seems to work correctly and the interface is consistent. Mandatory screenshot:
Location texts are working completely. The problem now is that there’s only 3 hours left and I’m not sure if I should add any more features, having into account that the site is still missing graphical design changes, proper testing and the usual last minute bug fixing.
So, the web will, almost for sure, launch with the current feature set.
The last 60 minutes of this 24 hour marathon are about to being! In the previous two hours, I have being doing a lot of design improvements and fixing some errors that I have being finding with unformal tests.
For this last hour, my plan is to finish the desing, do some fast tests and install the site in some public accessible place! Too much for so few minutes, I better hurry up! Screenshot please:
Hour 24: end
It’s 16:52 and I’m uploading the files to my web host. Meanwhile, I have svn tagged the code, created the domain, DB and table structure inside.
As soon as the file upload ends and I make some configuration changes for the new location of the code, the site will be available to the public at the address: http://triplan.torreznos.com.
I will write some kind of final thoughts later, but no fixes in the code after the time limit; so, this is rest time for me. Enjoy!